Wednesday 14 September 2016

Toad in the Hole

In honour of tonight’s Great British Bake Off and the first ever ‘Batter Week’, I was inspired on Monday to cook one of my favourite family dinners; Toad in the Hole, a hearty batter pudding with good sausages.

This meal is incredibly simple to prepare, and is such a comforting dish, it transports me straight back to my childhood.

I use my mother’s fail-proof recipe for a Yorkshire or batter pudding, with some dried thyme as an added, tasty extra (my Mum would not approve of tempering with a classic I’m sure) and it has yet to fail me. Mum swears by making the batter at least an hour before cooking and leaving to stand – as it has never let me done, I’ve stuck with her advice.

This week I served with some sweet potato mash and lots of vegetables – but I forgot how filling it is, you could easily have it with just a selection of vegetables, and of course some thick, delicious gravy.

Toad in the hole

Here’s how:
  • 150g plain flour
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • Pinch sea salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 2 eggs, 1 egg yolk
  • 300ml milk
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 4-6 good quality, thick sausages

Firstly make the batter by combining the flour, mustard powder, thyme, salt and pepper and mixing well in a small bowl or jug. Now use a spoon to make a well in the centre and then crack in the two eggs, and the egg yolk and use a fork or whisk to combine, adding a bit of the milk at a time until you have a fairly thick batter. Now cover and set aside for an hour (or less if you’re in a rush). 



Pre-heat the oven to 180 for 15 minutes. Now place the oil in an oven proof dish and rotate to ensure the base is covered, then place the sausages in and cook for ten minutes in the centre of the oven.

Remove the dish, and the oil should be incredibly hot and sizzling, pour in the batter around the sausages (try not to pour over the top for a better finish) and then return the dish to the oven. Don't be tempted to open the oven mid-way through as this will prevent the good rise you want.



Cook for 30-35 minutes or until the pudding is well risen and golden brown – your final result should be slightly crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside – delicious.

Toad in the hole

Use a palette knife around the outside to just gentle release, then cut into portions and serve with your choice of accompaniments. Enjoy!

Toad in the hole

No comments:

Post a Comment