Saturday 2 September 2017

Cauliflower, Broccoli and Potato Puree Baby Food

I have been weaning my daughter for a couple of months, and now she is over seven months we have progressed onto a range of finger foods and lumpier textures but I began the process with a range of mostly homemade baby purees. I found with my first daughter a simple potato masher worked as the main tool, but this time I've made slightly larger batches of purees with the help of my Nutribullet.

I have no issue with baby food brands, and have used the likes of Hipp Organic, Ella's Kitchen and this time around, Babease, during the weaning process but I much prefer preparing my baby's food and knowing every single ingredient that is going into her food, at this crucial stage. There is extensive research out there, which suggests the more flavours and types of foods you introduce to your baby during the weaning stage, the less likely she (or he) is to be a fussy eater as they get older. Research also recommends introducing different textures between the ages of 6-9 months, to avoid them becoming fussy about 'lumps' so try not to rely solely on pouches which are mainly pureed and smooth at this age.

Remember also to introduce flavours individually during the early days - just parsnips, sweet potato, or carrots to begin with, and then combine. This has worked well for me at least - but as parents, we all just do our best and seem to find our own way - I'm not preaching, just bringing to the table what has worked for us :-) I also try to use the same pan to cook things - another bug bear of being a busy Mum, is the constant clean-up, and I know the convenience of pouches is what attracts many, so I've tried to create some purees where minimal mess and clear up is required.

This puree is simple - potato, broccoli and cauliflower - nothing else, besides water.

Potato Broccoli and Cauliflower Puree


Here's how:


  • 1 white potato
  • 3 florets of broccoli
  • 3 florets of cauliflower


Bring a large pan of water to the boil - or if you're in a hurry, simply boil the kettle and add to a pan. 

Peel the potato and cut into small, 1 cm (ish) cubes and wash well to remove some of the starch, then add to the pan on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then simmer for ten minutes, testing with a fork to see if the potato has become soft enough to blend. As soon as it has, remove the potato with a slotted spoon and place directly into a blender or Nutribullet to cool a little.

Now add the broccoli and cauliflower to the water and cook for about 6 minutes, until softened. Drain, and add the cooked vegetables to the blender or Nutribullet

Pour over 4 tablespoons of cold water and leave for five minutes to cool a little more. Then blitz to a smooth paste.

Portion up and store excess portions in sealable tubs or ice cube trays. Reheat by placing the container into a bowl or pot of boiled water and always test with your hand before serving to baby.

1 comment: